Old Tottington Photographs-postcards

Managed to purchase three old photographs of Tottington on the web. I believe they are all dated about 1900. There is a little history behind each one, hopefully others will add to them too. Apologies to anyone who bid against me, I was determined to own them! Do not hesitate to download or copy them. I have considerably better scans than the one's on the web. Please ask if you intend to publish them!
The reverse of this picture says "Market Street, Tottington.
Apart from the cobbled street, Tottington Village hasn't really changed muctoo much. Picture courtesy of Elizabeth Hayhurst.
It was printed by Nostagia ink. I fancy the original, which I don't have is a photo. _ It will have been Sepia. I can find limited references to "Nostalgia Ink" and no refeferences to "Elizabeth Hayhurst" that seem to be remotely likely.

The comments seem quite correct - the left hand side of the road has not altered.

This is a scan of a postcard in my possession. It looks like the camera was positioned on the right-hand side of Stormer Hill looking towards Greenmount. The line of trees are at the side s of the stream that runs from left to right from under Brookhouse Bridge. The Building right in the centre is Brookhouse farm - the home of the Wood family. Just toe left out of view would be the little community of Brookhouse. Behind the big tree on the left a faint outline of path winds to Fishers Farm. Henry Fisher used to deliver our milk when we lived at Brookhouse. I went to school with his son. A faint outline of Holcombe Hill reveals Peel Tower. This was opened in 1852.


Peel Tower again in the background. My guess is that it was taken from above Turton road. I am assuming these houses are positioned on Turton Road. The road runs right into Tottington. At the bottom of the valley the stream runs left to right, from Two Brooks reservoir past Bottoms Hall past Brookhouse and appears in the photo above this one. The middle of the picture shows Hollymount Convent - It has a strange past - there are many researchers on the case. Strangely the back of the postcard reads "From Fred Lomax with his regards" How very odd - How did this photo finds its way to Oslo from Tottington?

I may add to this posting - I just wanted to add the pix. I think I also need to add links into the important pages it relates too.

Tottington Station, My Guess early 50's. It was certainly photographed from on top of the bridge that heads towards the lodges. The 2 squarish buildings belonged to a foundary. That road was unadopted and was always rutted. The houses on the top right went straight to the bottom of whitehead Gardens past St Annes Church. My mother was born on this street. As you went left you could turn up past the foundary onto a playing field which was just below the library. The tennis courts are still there too. This was a short cut from Brookhouse. If you down load the picture you can see an outline of houses. This is the rear of Laural street where the secondary modern school was built. The railway line in the picture goes to Holcombe brook to the right and down to Bury on the left. I don't remember the station, but I must have seen it. You can still see the third rail in the track.
 That's it for now, more stuff to follow

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tottington 1980 by Lancashire Life

Greenmount Railway station