Dunn's in Tottington

Jane Dunn
Roger Dunn
The first photo is a picture of my maternal grandmother Jane Dunn, married Thomas Lomax. He was also a Tottingtonian. As far as I am aware this was the earliest photo I have. The date on the back of the photograph is 1901. I suppose that she would be 3 or 4 at the time. Stand to be corrected if others appear.  Sometimes she was known as a Dunne. As Tottington was a close knit community she was known as Jennie Dunn,even after 30 years of marriage!  However I want to go back a bit further. I have quite a lot of early Dunn Photographs which I have scanned. Big huge files.
Sarah Ann or Sadie Dunn
The first picture is of Rodger Dunn, died at the age of 26. I have discrepancy here with my mother and with ancestry. My mother has written on the reverse of the photo died at the age of 26. Ancestry claims 23 years.
He was however the son of William Greenhalgh Dunn and Hannah Baker Yoxhall.

Greenhalgh's figure a lot in the history. The Lomax's married into the Greenhalghe's, whether they were the same line I do not know. Research has been going on for a number of years and I really do not have any satisfactory conclusions. His Brother William was my direct ancestor. He would have been my grandmother's uncle. Taking a leap of faith here. I believe that this lady, known as Sadie is actually Sarah Ann Dunn, a brother of Roger. The photos have always been kept together. This would of course have been my Grandmother's aunt. The final picture of these three is another Dunn of the same generation. Walker Dunn. There has been a long line of Walker Dunns. His father was a Walker Dunn too.  He was born in 1854 and died in 1929.

Tracing the line back includes a Walker Dunn who was killed in 1916 at Pozieres in France. He is commemorated on the War Memorial in Walshaw.


Walker Dunn
Walker Dunn. I suspect this
gentleman was born in 1923
These 3 siblings were 3 of 9 children. All born in Tottington. The names of the other 6 were Alice, Eliza, John, Jane, William, and Hannah. William was my Grandmother's father reputed to have a fearsome temper and a great singing voice. William married Ann Walmesley Forrest. Another post will show the pictures I have. This is where the plot thickens as far as being able to trace relatives. I am going to add 2 pictures of Walmsley Forrest' that do not appear on any of the searchable websites.

Below are photographs of my Grandmother - most of them are when she was a Lomax but also including one or two later ones.

These 4 pictures are of my Grandmother with here very close friend Phyllis Hampson. I do not know what her unmarried name was. These were dated in the Second World War as Air Raid Wardens.

My Grandmother as I really do recall her. It seems that she was about 65 in this photograph. This will have been about 7 years before her death at 72. We were still playing golf occasionally. I had probably just about left home at this time. Pictured at a wedding
I do not know the date, but I do know the name of the officer presenting. This was John Woodcock, I believe a solicitor, practised or lived in Hawkshaw. My mother was on first name terms.
My Grandmother is the woman on the right - haven't a clue who any of the others were!
Finally - one of the few pictures of my mother and my grandmother. Pat Lomax and Jane Lomax. Predictably holding cats. I think the photo may well have been taken in Ruislip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tottington 1980 by Lancashire Life

Old Tottington Photographs-postcards

Greenmount Railway station